Using Standard Journals in Business Central
There is a concept in Dynamics 365 Business Central called Standard Journals, which allow you to set up predefined entries (templates) that you can use over and over again. Think of those entries that happen on a recurring basis.
Here are some examples:
- Bank Transactions
- Depreciation (if you're doing it manually)
- Month-end adjustments
- Can choose to save amounts
- Company specific so any user can utilize them
Setting up Standard Journals
- Open General Journal and select the batch you'd like to work in. In my example I'm going to select the PAYROLL batch.
- Since payroll is bi-weekly for me, it makes sense to make this a Standard Journal. This will allow me to save the payroll entry with or without the amount so when the time comes for payroll it's quicker for me to enter the entry.
- Once the entry is ready to be saved as a Standard Journal follow these steps.
Actions > Functions > Save as Standard Journal
- Give the Standard Journal a Code, description, and decide if you'd like the amount saved or not and then click on OK.
Utilizing Standard Journals
- Open General Journal and select the batch you'd like to work in. In my example I'm going to select the PAYROLL batch since I'm working on payroll.
- Select Process > Get Standard Journals to open the Standard General Journals window to select the one you'd like to use. In this example I'm selecting PAYROLL.